Thursday, July 24, 2008

i am my mother. my mother is me. lindsey is a third wheel.

So last night, Emily and I decided to have a girls' night at my sister's house since my brother-in-law was out of town. Usually he shuns the presence of any additional Clark genes in his home, so it was a great opportunity for us to hang out. In his defense, my mother has this uncanny ability to sniff out her two daughters together in the same room. So anytime I go over, she finds her way as well. But without a husband to deny the magnetism the Clark woman hold over each other, me and emily, and of course my mother, all found ourselves cuddling together on lin's couch.

I have to say first and foremost: I LOVE MY MOTHER. She may be a bit crazy (aren't we all?) but she is the most generous, wonderful creature in the world. She shows up last night with a "little sumthin" she got us on her recent trip to Mexico City. It seems, however, that Emily---much to my sister's dismay---has taken over as the gift recipient of Mother. Lin and I both got little salsa bowls, very cute, don't get my wrong, but Em made out like a bandit! She came in carrying a moving box full of stuff. Lindsey swore she's not having children so she doesn't have to compete in the gift department. She also brought over enough Baja Fresh for the next week. It makes me wonder if this is something that kicks in once you're a mom, or is it just in Nancy's nature? I mean, I pick up postcards for people, but this woman is CONSTANTLY thinking of other people. Everytime we go over to her house she has a bag full of goodies for us and the dogs. And usually some random Costco item they have no room for, like 30 oranges.

Anyway, after a yummy meal courtesy of BF and Nancy, we all snuggled on the couch and watched Chicken Run with the three dogs. While Ick is normally well behaved, when he is around his nanny and Lincoln, he turns into quite the turd. But not so much as snaggle tooth shark mouth Hurley. He is constant. We must have laughed for 3 hours straight at his determination to make Lincoln his girlfriend. Poor thing. Maybe it's a good thing that the Clark genes are separated most of the time. I can see how it can be a little overwhelming. Even Lincoln seemed in shell shock most of the evening.

But it does make me realize how blessed I am. I am starting to get a little bluesy about Emily and Jacob leaving next week. I am using my summer flex day next Thursday to take them to a local waterpark for one last hoorah though, so that's something looking forward to that. Thank goodness for the dogs though. I'd go crazy without someone to constantly kiss on. Wonder where I got that from?

3 comments:

Bowlings said...

No wonder our moms are best friends...they are so much alike! That's exactly mom...always thinking of(and buying for) someone else:-)

Bowlings said...

oh yeah...6508 Brownstone Dr. Mckinney TX 75070

lindsey said...

I AM NOBODY'S THIRD WHEEL, FOOL!!!