Tuesday, July 22, 2008

He's Right There!


One of the cool things about being a quasi-mom is that you are forced to be recreational every single day. Where as my typical after work evening may consist of Deal or No Deal and if I'm lucky, my weekly issue of In Touch, having two kids changes that a bit. Although the occasional video game will keep their attention long enough for me to get to the "Who Wore it Best" section, most of the time, my complete attention is needed at every minute.

So, James and I have had to be a bit creative with our afterschool activities. Which has led me to the discovery of Where's Waldo. Now, while Waldo is not technically "new" to me, he is new in the sense that I never rushed home from work on a regular basis to find him. Initially we all tried to find him at once, but that got a bit crammed as Emily crawled over James's head screaming "I can't see!" so now we use the Outburst timer to give everyone 2 minutes of Waldo searching before passing it on. Whoever finds him the quickest gets to go first on the next round. That sucker can be pretty well hidden sometimes. And then usually once a book, there is a page that is SUPER hard, like a page FULL of Waldos and you have to find the one with the missing shoe. I mean come on. Eventually, we had to use the Internets for that one.

Another thing I've become rather adept at, besides finding Waldo of course, is making fajitas. Apparently the kids think this is all I can make, as when I asked Jacob yesterday "Guess what's for dinner?," his response was," Are you cooking? Then fajitas." Honestly! Am I that obvious?

A month of Waldo and fajitas? In June I wouldn't have thought that sounded like a whole lot of fun. Actually, I would say it sounds like no fun at all. July, however. Now, that's a different story. And lucky for me, it's a slightly less embarassing hobby to continue in August once the kiddoes are gone. Last year, I had to sneak in episodes of Hannah Montana and the Suite Life of Zack and Cody. Hey, they have some really great story lines!

No comments: